Friday, February 03, 2006

11. Attention!!! - What the heck

“Attention !” – “I’ll do anything man, I am even ready to shout ‘Attention!’ like a military general, just to make her look at me, because once I get the look naa, I can work my way through with my charm”, says my friend. I say, “ Arey, there’s your cute school friend at the other end of the hall, who’s constantly trying to get your attention, and you are totally ignoring her”, to which he says “no dude, she’s not the, u know, girl friend type. She isn’t demanding, high handed, flirtatious which are total turn on’s for me. She too easily agrees to what I have to say and hardly asks for anything, giving me the impression that she doesn’t want to be anything more than a friend.”

How often does this not happen, the person you want to talk to isn’t as eager to listen to you, as is a person, whom you aren’t so eagerly interested to listen to, yourself. The wretched irony of life, or can it be thought of as a guiding light? Don’t you hear people saying, “What goes around comes around”, or is this just a myth. Lets just not confine the issue to talking, lets take it a step further by saying that the interest you show in a person, the effort you put or want to put to get that person’s attention does not get the kind of reciprocation or response you would like to get.

When it comes to love, a good friend of mine says, “I just cant understand the concept of adjustment in love. People say, why go searching for love when there are people you know who are ready give you love? How can you adjust and compromise in matters of love?”. I’d say a better word for it would be “contentment”, but that’s a secondary thing. If you are in love with someone who isn’t interested even the slightest bit in you, then what does one do? Reassess whether is it really love or is it just infatuation packaged in a glittery wrapper ? Or Continue to be in love without letting the ‘person’ know of it? What if there is another person in love with you already :o ? Or Stay contented saying, this wasn’t meant to be, so let me search for other open roads? Another friend of mine says, “Adjustment is a part of life dude, u have to adjust yourself according to the circumstances and situations”, but that’s a separate issue all together.

We so desperately try to get that someone’s attention, we’ll try every trick in the book, every potion and spell that we know just to get noticed by the right person. And invariably what happens is that it’s everyone else other than that someone, who end up noticing you. And the same holds true for people trying to get your attention as well, you are so busy trying to get someone else’s attention that you don’t pay attention to the efforts made to get your attention. Sounds clichéd, twisted, but that’s the way it is.

I have got so vexed looking at how this “vicious circle” gets formed everywhere, that I’ve stopped consciously from making efforts to be noticeable, even accidentally. Have resigned from the “Attention-mongers” department, have adopted the “if I have to get noticed by someone, it will happen eventually, no point in trying consciously to draw attention.”. have begun paying Attention to every possible attempt made to make me feel better or happier and it is giving me a lot more satisfaction coz I can see the happiness in people’s face when they get the desired reciprocation for their tries.

But then again, the chirpy child within me gets outta control now and then and gets back to trying to impress upon people and get me noticed. There’s this conflict which crops up every now and then , but finally practicality wins(I hate it to win, but it ultimately does) and I am back to being what I have always been, a poor “Attention - gatherer”.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

first, lot of DISCUSSable issues in this one.....buh wont put down al of em...
have u ever experienced this???---> whenever I have tried hard to hold on to something, or get something.... (a lot applicable to people behaviors)...
it, most of the times ends up in disappointment....but its when we LET GO (these 2 words are as powerful as they look simple), miracles happen.... situations change.... somehow the very thing u wer craving for finds its way out to you!!! its just a matter of TIME!!
and I firmly believe in wat goes around comes around....strange but very very true!!!

Anonymous said...

god!!! keep forgettin to write my name...sorry abt dat it was me SAPNAH...

Abhay said...

LET GO - powerful , very powerful words u used here......we subconsciously do Let Go as time passes by, but to speeden the process up, relying on these statements, truths will do the trick i guess....i hope i am making sense

Anonymous said...

Hey! You are absolutely right. I've tried so much, yet in so much despair. However I know I'd get a lotta attention right now if I want to, just not from the right person.

I wont accept NO for an answer, so I'll keep trying I guess, knowing that it isn't going to work..

but well put blog! Random props!!

Anonymous said...

wanted and ignored....
hmm sounds interesting..


PSR

Rahul said...

pori mama. If we get them well and fine, if we don't move on :D Can't help it as long as its mutual. If she would give you company without basically wanting to, she's going for a compromise instead of you. So ignore her :p

Attention unfortunately is not available always when people want it. Some people like PSR rule at it and people like me complement their role in this world by sucking at it.

Anonymous said...

There is always a world called imaginary world. you can do whatever you like in that world. theres no one to stop. i daily kiss ash and kill bush in that world. Needs bit of prac though :P

Rahul said...

There is always a world called imaginary world. you can do whatever you like in that world. theres no one to stop. i daily beat deepu in that world and answer more words in english than he does :P