Monday, May 17, 2010

84. Fancy corporate post-names/titles : not so amusing anymore

Just saw this on TV. It blew my mind. The WTFness-quotient of the content I saw was so high that its urged my to post it here almost asap.

It turns out that this is pretty old news, but I'm sure not many would've heard of it. Did you ppl know that the Future group has a 'Chief Belief Officer'. And they have a person, a fully-salaried employee for that post too, Dr.Devdutt Pattanaik.

Its not the post exactly, but the model he presented on CNBC that left me flabbergasted. He first says, the 3B model of management is Belief-Behavior-Business. And then he actually goes ahead and draws 3 circles on a chart and connects them linearly to show the relation. Can you believe that??? And the interviewer actually gasped as if she'd seen the Haley's comet. What horseshit ! Unbelievable !

read this - 60 seconds chief
and watch this - My work as a Chief Belief Officer

The ex-COO of the firm in which I previously worked, has been the 'Gardener' of that firm for the past few years. Another post which although sounds creative, is in a gray area with unclear responsibilities and un-quantifiable objectives.

A colleague of mine, who started off his own company handed me his card which read "Mr.XYZ, Founder". The word Founder did have a great zing to it. Much better than the regular CEO or COO or MD.

When I get into an organization, I would want a cool job title, depending on what I join as. Like say

"Awesemolyst" (analyzes awesomeness of the work being done, Barney Stintson style) or

"Head Markgeneer"(a Marketer + engineer) or

"Logisticologist" (an Ops profile for Logistics) or

"Procurement-man"(again, an Ops profile for Procurement)...has the super-hero zing to it :) or

"Chief emotions officer" (one who reads all of Paulo Coelho's books and recommends women-related policies) or

"Chief emoticons officer" (one who recommends all the emoticons that can be used in any official report or e-mail) or

"Tantri, the Pantry Mantri" (one who heads the Pantry staff)

I wouldn't mind a pay-cut for a month or two in return. The cool name is all that the outside world knows about your job. They don't see the ass-kicking nor do they see the ass-prints that your boss has left on your ass by the end of the day. When someone asks me about my designation at work, I'd rather say "Script Detectivologist" than merely saying "Bug-fixer".